Friday, February 18, 2011

Idam tubhyam, Idam na mama

Idam tubhyam, Idam na mama
(This is yours, this is not mine)



There was a King. He was wise and just and loved by his people. After a few years he got bored of being a King, and would get tired very fast.

To solve this problem he went to his Guru in the forest and said, "I am tired of all these problems and tensions; if I solve one problem another erupts. Every day there are new problems and new tensions. I am tired of all this ! What should I do?"

The Guru said, "If such is the case, then leave the kingdom to your son and live a life the way I live."

The King said, "My son is very young and will not be able to handle this."

The Guru said, "In that vase you give me the kingdom and I will handle it."

The King was very happy and said,"Yes! this is acceptable to me."

The Guru gave him some holy water and the King took it in his right hand and made a promise in front of the sacred fire.

The King got up and started to leave.

The Guru asked, " Where are you going?" The King said, "I am going to the palace to take some money from the treasury and I will go to a foreign land where I will do a small business and lead my life."

The Guru said, " When you have given me the kingdom, the treasury is also mine and you have no right."

The King thought for a moment and said, "That is true so now I will have to take a job somewhere else."

The Guru said, " If you have to do a job, come and work for me. I have such a big kingdom and I need somebody to run it, You have the right experience, will you do this?" The King said, "Yes !"

The Guru said, "Then go and from today run the kingdom on my behalf. Please remember that nothing is yours. You will only get a salary."

The King accepted and went back and started running the kingdom. After one month the Guru came to the palace and asked theKing, "So how are you? Have you got bored, have you got tensions? How is life with you?"

Smilingly the King said, " I am very happy. I am able to sleep well in the night. I work hard whole day, I have solved the problem and have no tensions ! I try my best and leave the worry to you! Nothing is mine. I only do my duty."

(FROM: Stories from Here and There, compiled by Sunil Handa: ISBN: 978-81-908299-7-7)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This story really puts into perspective that a man should only do his duty and leave the worrying to the almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment